Port Adelaide    1.4.2    1.6.3    1.11.8        1.11.11 (86)
Fremantle          0.1.3    1.2.9    2.3.12        2.5.18 (66)

Port Adelaide: Boak (supergoal), Schulz 3, Broadbent 2, Gray 2, D.Stewart, Cassisi, Renouf, Butcher
Fremantle: Pavlich 2 (one supergoal), Hill (supergoal), Mellington, De Boer, Anthony, Bradley

Port Adelaide: Cassisi, Boak, Gray, McCarthy, Redden, Schulz
Fremantle: Pavlich, Fyfe, Hill, Broughton, Anthony, De Boer

Port Adelaide: Salopek (broken nose)
Fremantle: Neale (left ankle), Suban (cut head)

Reports: Nil

Estimated crowd: 5000 at Encounter Bay Oval

Port Adelaide has made the most of a slow start by Fremantle to build a big lead before running out 20-point winners in their NAB Cup clash at Victor Harbor on Saturday.

Fremantle managed 25 scoring shots to the Power’s 23, but Port Adelaide made the most of their opportunities to record a 1.11.11 (86) to 2.5.18 (66) victory at Encounter Bay Oval.

The Power kicked the first five goals of the game, an opening burst that proved the difference in what was a physical contest.

While Fremantle managed the only two goals of the final quarter, the result never appeared to be in doubt as the Power were never headed, controlling the play for most of the game through the midfield.

Both sides now have a 2-2 record after four NAB Cup matches.

The result was further soured for Fremantle with promising youngster Lachie Neale needing to be assisted off the ground with a left ankle injury.

John McCarthy continued his great start in Power colours with 14 disposals, while Cameron O’Shea (18) and Jay Schulz (13 and three goals) were prominent.

Travis Boak was up to his usual tricks in the middle, while captain Dom Cassisi marked his return by collecting 23 touches and snaring a goal.

Robbie Gray was also a standout for the Power with two goals.

Fremantle’s Nathan Fyfe (27 touches) and Stephen Hill (18) both contributed, while captain Matthew Pavlich imposed himself on the game at several stages, finishing with a supergoal and another major to complement his 21 disposals.

The Power exploded out of the blocks early kicking the first five goals of the game, including a supergoal from Boak.

Power ruckman Jarrad Redden was losing out to Fremantle’s Jonathan Griffin in the middle but was superb around the ground, while midfielders Gray, Boak and McCarthy were all lively.

Fremantle’s Joshua Mellington pulled the margin back to 26 points by quarter-time and when Pavlich landed his supergoal, the visitors looked have taken all the momentum.

The skipper was suddenly everywhere, as was Fyfe, Hill and Greg Broughton. Wasteful kicking and Schulz’s second goal kept the margin to 18 points in favour of the Power at the main break.

John Butcher set the tone early in the third, running straight through Fremantle’s Zac Dawson and despite continued good work from Fyfe, Hill and Pavlich, Port extended the margin to 35 points at the final change.

Fremantle managed five behinds before its first goal of the last quarter by Jack Anthony, and the Power were able to win comfortably despite not kicking a goal in the final term.

Source Link

Be Sociable, Share!