Sacked Harvey set to break his silence
Sacked Fremantle coach Mark Harvey will break his silence about his shock removal from the Dockers hotseat on Saturday – and he will return to his old club to do it.
Harvey has kept a low profile since the stunning move by the Dockers’ hierarchy to remove him and install Ross Lyon, after his equally shocking exit from St Kilda.
But at Essendon’s grand final function on Saturday, Harvey will be the guest speaker – where he will undoubtedly be asked about the circumstances of his shock exit from Fremantle and his future in football.
Harvey’s potential return to the club where he won three premierships and an All-Australian selection in 1993 is an obvious connection to make, particularly given the Bombers have lost one assistant in new Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney and Dean Wallis to a ban for betting on games.
But there is also a thought Harvey could take a year out of football, with his family ensconced in Western Australia.
The dumped Dockers boss will be paid in full his contractual entitlements from Fremantle for 2012 following his ugly dismissal.
His son Trent, a journalism student at a Perth university, said after his father’s sacking he was not sure his father would even want to stay in football, having developed contacts in the mining industry during his time in WA.
But Bombers chief executive Ian Robson said the club had enormous sympathy for Harvey.
“It will be inevitable that those people … will make those linkages,” Robson told SEN radio.
“It is obviously a very challenging time for mark and (wife) Donna and his family, and everyone inside the Essendon family feels for them.
“It is a brutal industry and Harves felt the harsh reality of that in the latter course of last week.
“We were already going to have a little bit of realignment of some of our resources because of the situation with Dean Wallis.
“A review of sorts was already underway … I am sure Hirdy will sit down and make some informed decisions about where we go next.”