Fremantle’s Michael Barlow’s manager has dismissed claims that he has suffered a setback as he recovers from a broken leg.

Accredited player agent Marty Pask yesterday denied reports circulated on an online sports website on Tuesday that Barlow’s broken bones were healing slower than expected.

The 22-year-old had a metal plate inserted after he was injured in the round 14 clash against Port Adelaide when teammate Rhys Palmer crashed into his left leg in a marking contest.

Online reports claimed a medical assessment by the on-baller’s orthopaedic surgeon said further surgery may be necessary.

But Pask, a former AFL player with Brisbane and the Western Bulldogs, said there was no truth to the claims. He said Barlow was on track with his recovery.

“I don’t know where they came from, to be honest,” Pask said.

“Everything’s tracking along well and everything’s up to date in his recovery, so that’s it.

“There is no surgery, there’s no surgery pending, there’s nothing coming – the reports are false.”

Barlow, who was a revelation through the midfield in 13 matches in his debut season, has walked laps and taken part in handball drills at training sessions in recent weeks without an obvious limp.

He has also been running as part of his recovery, with his steady progress welcome at a time when the Dockers have lost youngster Anthony Morabito (knee) for all of next season and veteran Roger Hayden (foot) for the first half of the year.

Fremantle officials said they would give Barlow as much time as needed to recover.

Football manager Chris Bond said last month it was too early to tell if Barlow would return for round one.

Meanwhile, de-listed defender Steven Dodd will continue his career with his original WAFL club, East Fremantle, after signing a three-year deal.

Dodd, 27, was one of six players de-listed by Fremantle in October. He managed just three AFL games last season to bring his overall tally to 101 matches.

┬ĚDiscarded West Coast premiership forward Ashley Hansen is likely to decide before Christmas whether to continue his playing future in Perth.

Swan Districts are attempting to convince the 27-year-old to continue with them next season after he was de-listed by West Coast after 78 AFL matches in seven seasons.

Hansen was originally recruited from Melbourne.

Source Link

Be Sociable, Share!