Fremantle has emerged as a frontrunner for John Anthony after the forward walked out on Collingwood last week.

Anthony’s manager confirmed Fremantle’s interest, with the Dockers poised to swoop in December’s pre-season draft.

“There has been some interest from out west for John and there’s been interest from a couple of other clubs,” Anthony McConville told SEN on Monday.

“Fremantle has spoken to him about possibly playing a role as a forward or [down] back.

“Mark Harvey thinks that he can play either end, so it’s just a matter of getting to a club during the pre-season draft and then making the best of his opportunities, whether it be forward or back.”

McConville said his client was happy to go interstate, and was intent on furthering his career – something he felt would not happen if he stayed at the Westpac Centre.

Anthony had been offered a contract by the Pies earlier this year but he and his management held off re-signing, believing the goalkicker’s impressive 2009 deserved a beefier deal from his club.

However with coach Mick Malthouse preferring the combination of Chris Dawes and Travis Cloke, the 22-year-old couldn’t win a regular spot in the senior line-up.

He spent much of the season in the VFL, and was tried as a defender in 2010.

“He’s happy to play either end,” McConville said.

“Probably in Jack’s own mind he sees himself as more of a forward.

“He thinks he can offer more to a side as a forward but in saying that as long as he’s in the 18 he’s happy with that.”

Source Link

Be Sociable, Share!